Brookview Dental: Preventive Dentistry
Preventive dental care can mean the difference between a healthy smile, and a smile full of dental problems. In fact, preventive care provides the foundation which will help you enjoy a healthy smile for life.
Brookview Dental in Newtown, CT, offers a wide range of dental services, including preventive care to protect your smile.
Preventive dental care can also:
- Dramatically lower your risk of tooth decay, dental abscesses, and other dental problems
- Dramatically lower your risk of gum disease and periodontal disease
- Provide knowledge, tools, and techniques so you can keep your smile healthy at home between dental appointments
During your preventive dental visit, your dentist will:
- Take x-rays and perform other diagnostic services; x-rays help your dentist identify areas of decay, and allow them to take a look at the bone that supports your teeth. Loss of bone around your teeth may indicate you have periodontal disease.
- Do a comprehensive dental exam; during your dental exam, your dentist will check your existing restorations and look for fillings that might be leaking. They will also check your gums for any bleeding or evidence of disease.
- Do an oral cancer exam; your dentist will check your tongue, cheeks, the roof of your mouth, and other areas for any suspicious changes in your soft tissue. They will also check under your chin and throat for any swollen lymph nodes, which could indicate infection.
- You should have a dental examination including x-rays every 6 to 12 months to keep your smile healthy.
Brushing and flossing your teeth is crucial to maintaining your oral health but you need a deeper cleaning. Bacteria and food particles can build up on your teeth to form plaque and tartar.
Plaque and tartar buildup could lead to oral health complications such as gum disease and tooth decay. These conditions can be pretty painful and could result in the loss of your teeth.
During your routine dental visits, your Great Falls, MT, dentist will clean your teeth to get rid of the tartar and plaque buildup. This preventive treatment could save you from enduring expensive and painful dental procedures in the future.
Fluoride Treatments and Dental Sealants
Your dentist can apply fluoride to the smooth surface of your teeth to reduce your risk of tooth decay. The fluoride coat helps strengthen your enamel to protect your teeth from cavities.
Cracks and grooves on your teeth can be difficult to clean. During your preventive dental visit, your dentist can fill out these grooves with a sealant to make cleaning easier and protect your teeth from damage.
To learn more about the importance of preventive care and how it can protect your smile, call Brookview Dental in Newtown, CT at (203) 426-5260 now!